I paint my nails on occasion, and my go-to is painting one of my nails in a "pop color." For example, for Valetine's Day, I painted my nails red, but my ring fingers were a melon/orange color. It's pretty simple as far as nail art goes - I have neither the time nor the steady hands to do something more intricate. However, this is a popular nail art trend which I see fairly regularly. Here is a picture of my nails from my OOTD post from February 11th.

I recently discovered a blog called Chelsea King's Get Nailed, and it's all about fun nail art inspired by fashion, seasons, and holidays. In fact, the first I had noticed Get Nailed was on Instagram, which Target re-grammed Chelsea's nail art inspired by the Prabal Gurung for Target exclusive line. I think she did a great job of intepretting the prints and patterns from the line. However, she's so good at this nail art stuff, I could easily see her patterns be interpreted into apparel and accessory design - a true sense of the trickle up theory.
MTV Style did a piece on celebrity nail art in December 2012 as a sort of recap of the fun and crazy nail art. Some celebs managed manis which look like they were done at home, but some are pretty technical (and quite frankly, insane). Here are some of my favorites from the MTV article:
Demi Lovato

Zooey Deschanel

Ke$ha

And perhaps my least favorite, simply because it looks uncomfortable and would make it hard to zip your own pants, or do anything on your own for that matter...
Lady Gaga

Nail art has become so popular with the masses, it has trickled up to inspire the production of easier manicure applications, and even licensing partnerships. For example, Sally Hansen now has stick-on glitter french manicures. I managed to give myself this glitter french mani at work a couple days before Thanksgiving (work was that slow, and applying the mani was that easy).
The Kardashians have their own line of OPI nail polish called Kardashian Kolors. I'm not sure how popular it is, but OPI tends to be a very popular brand of nail polish.

What are some of your favorite nail art trends?


Oh my! Hahah I have always been so intrigued by nail art! I agree that people often forget that beauty is a part of fashion..In fact I think it has a huge impact on the actual fashion. I really like neutral nails colors lately or soft pinks. I really like looking at Demi's nails too! She always has something different!
ReplyDeleteI am totally terrible at nail art, I lack some sort of essential coordination/patience necessary to accomplish it. however, I do think it is a really cute and interesting trend - I love checking out Zooey Deschanel's themed manicures on instagram, and I find that Katy Perry also does some really cool nail art.
ReplyDeleteI love all of these nails! I wish I was able to wear nailpolish to work because they really add excitement to your outfit! I want to try the matte black with shiney black french! I've seen a lot of pictures of them, but I just don't have the talent to do it on myself!
ReplyDeleteThose nail arts are fabulous and I see them everywhere. Some of the art are just crazy and some are cute. I think you can buy nail art stickers if you want a quick fix. No long wait necessary.
ReplyDeleteAll of these nail designs are beautiful! I'm really in love with the yellow ones, I might try them out :)
ReplyDeleteI have been noticing the nail art trend as well. I have short nails so until I decide to stop biting them I cant get on board with this great and fun style. I loveee all your pictures that you showed really depicts how big this trend is!!
ReplyDeleteZooey always has the most amazing nails! I love the tuxedos!
ReplyDeletex
Lost in the Haze: A Fashion Photography Blog