Friday, March 1, 2013

FB #5 - Visual merchandising as a source for color trends

I love visual merchandising. To me, this is the last chance to pull in a sale from a customer. This is the opportunity to show a shopper, "You MUST have this outfit." This is the opportunity to merchandise something that maybe isn't selling all that well and turn it into something which will fly off the racks. I have always felt that incredible visual merchandising is the best way to influence sales, whether it's for a particular garment, entire outfit, or even just a particular color.

I took a quick walk through Copley Place (Boston, MA), and snapped a couple (understatement of the day!) pictures of some of my favorite windows.

To start, I really loved the windows at Louis Vuitton - the flying papers are what initially caught my eye, but the crisp white outfits have me dreaming of spring. White is one of my favorite colors to work with when planning outfits. I wouldn't normally go for a head-to-toe white look, but these Louis Vuitton looks have inspired me to give it a try this spring.

IMAG0147 IMAG0148

Next up... the Gap. Gap has become my go-to store when I need an instant pick me up, because their window displays always involve a lot of color. I snapped a couple different photos on my trip today.

First - Gap kids. I have a sneaking suspicion that pink will be popular for girls this spring, and navy blue for boys. However, there are flashes of yellow, teal, red and white. Pink is always a popular color for girls, so I think it's safe to say that pink will always trend for spring. Navy blue is very dapper for boys, and can easily be mixed with many other colors. However, because navy is easily paired with other colors, I believe navy could be considered a neutral, and neutrals are great for spring.

IMAG0146

Also from the Gap world - Gap Body. Again, more pink. However, there are also flashes of a dewy green, lavender, light blue and royal blue for women. These colors get me jazzed about spring weather and running outdoors again.

IMAG0145

Finally, a regular Gap window. I spy white, navy, a melon-y pink, and more of that dewy green. It's official - I CANNOT wait for spring! I'm so tired of my winter wardrobe!

IMAG0144

A quick trip by Cache surprised me. I'm used to seeing plenty of color in Cache windows, so seeing all of this black and white was very different. Yes - white is present, but these windows aren't feeling very inspiring for spring. Black and white together are my personal stand-by colors for winter.

IMAG0143 IMAG0142

Three words: navy, white, nautical. If these three words don't scream "spring," I don't know what does! I love this Hugo Boss window, because the nautical colors are reflected in the nautical props. What you can't see in this photo are the pinstripes in the blazer. Nautical stripes... so much nautical in this window!

IMAG0141

BCBG MaxAzria is a store I have never been to, so I was delighted to take a swing through to check out what's going on with color in there. The windows felt very springy to me. More nautical stripes, peach, lime, white, navy, denim blue, and a light/creamy teal mixed with light, floaty fabrics all tell me spring is coming.

IMAG0136

IMAG0140 

IMAG0137

Finally, my new favorite store - Michael Kors. Their windows are always the best. A few weeks ago when I was in the Burlington Mall, MK had a really fun window full of spring-colored handbags, which I posted to Instagram:

71eb3afc6e3c11e2b55422000a9f1377_7

The Michael Kors in Copley Place had a similar look, but with more apparel. My favorite thing about this window is the Kelly green mixed with navy. Kelly green is one of my favorite colors, and it reminds me of when the New England snow melts and grass pokes through.

IMAG0135

Thanks for taking a tour of what Copley Place has to offer for spring. Are you as excited for spring as I am? I'm dreaming of the days I can wear bright dresses with bare legs again!

2 comments:

  1. I'm on the same page with you..is it spring yet!? I don't know how you can do it, I could never put myself on a shopping diet though, that would just be cruel and unsual punishment! LOVE the colors from the BCBGMaxazria store. I always find they usualy have monstly darker colors but it's such a good change to add in those lovely pinks! And lately I've been noticing the Gap has some really nice windows too. I might have to start shopping there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, I love your enthusiasm about the upcoming Spring...and even though I'm a huge fan of bright colors like fuchsia, lemon yellow or flame orange, I absolutely loved the color palette you have taken pictures of. The combination of Kelly Green and Navy Blue is my very favorite and I'm a fan of Michael Kors as well. Haven't always liked his stuff, but in the past two years I feel he had overcome some significant changes and his collections are being better each year, especially his accessories and shoe department. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments. <3